As a self-confessed Audio Geek, I got excited this morning when the postie brought me a Beyer M260N.  A ribbon mic but with a hypercardioid pickup pattern (instead of the normal ribbon figure of 8).  Specs here.  It looks like this…

I purchsed it from the excellent Sound Generation and, the boss, Carlos had already told me that it had a rattle.  However, he had tested it and reported that it was working fine.  Armed with this information, I took a ‘punt’, as it was a great deal.

Upon arrival, I carefully checked for the rattle which was, indeed, there.

After reading several posts, and finding a YouTube video, I finally discovered how to get the grill off! (Easier than it first appeared).  With the grill removed, the problem was obvious – the plastic ribbon motor cover had come loose (a common problem with vintage M160s and M260s).

The grey part (in the pic above) should be flush with the (rusty-looking) magnet.

It was obvious that the mic would need a clean to remove dust, rust and particles before glueing it back togther.  However, the ribbon is extremely delicate and thin, so a lot of precautions had to be taken so as not to damage it during the cleaning process – you don’t want to be using metal tools as they get pulled toward the magnet and can easily rip right through the thin ribbon and, additionally, when the cover is off, you can easily rip the ribbon with a gust of wind or even a loud spoken plosive!  So I had to be extremely careful, using a magnifying light to give me the best view of any dirt and particles to remove.

Most of the thin layer of rust came off easily to reveal the magnet.  You can see the actual ribbon in the centre of the picture below (looking very good for it’s age).

Once the magnet and cover had been cleaned.  I very carefully re-glued the cover to the magnet using superglue, making sure none of it was anywhere near the middle of magnet, as the pressure required, to bond the surfaces might have pushed the glue into the middle of the magnet and onto the ribbon causing a major issue.  I then glued the yellow tape at the sides back onto the cover for extra stability.

The mic was then thoroughly tested.  It’s working within normal parameters and I look forward to trying it out in the studio in the near future.  All in all a very successful repair.  Another new (old) mic for my collection.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This